Education & School History

Potter #1

Independent School in 1901 – From left to right, students Rebecca Douds, Gula Baker, & Thomas Flocker, and teacher Mary McKown.

Potter #1/Independent School

This school was located on what was recently Zinc Corporation of America’s property. It was used for school until 1939.

Potter #2/Badlam Place

Potter #2 was located on what used to be Mowry Road. The school was closed in 1920 due to a lack of students and was used for Grange meetings. Eventually, the Badlam family purchased the building.

St. Joe School Building

The St. Joe School Building was built between 1938 and 1939. It was located in the area near the scales of the Zinc Corporation of America. Once it was no longer needed as a school, it became used as a community center. Later it was returned to the plant and used as a school for Special Education Classes by Beaver County.

Kobuta School Building

Kobuta School was constructed to provide sufficient room for schooling when the Kobuta Plant and housing project were built. It was located in the construction gate area of NOVA on Montgomery Dam Road.

Potter School District

1950 Potter School District Building

Potter School District

The building of Potter School was completed in September of 1950. From 1950 to 1953, the Potter School District offered space to the Raccoon Township school and from 1953 to 1956, the district rented classrooms to the South Side School District. Then, in 1971, the Potter and Center Schools merged to form the Center Area School District. The Potter School still operated as an elementary school until it was closed in 1978. In 2010, the building became home to the Keystone Simulation and Education Center (KSEC).